By Anthony W. Norman, Gerald Litwack
The newly revised and up to date Hormones, moment Edition offers a entire therapy of human hormones, seen in gentle of recent theories of hormone motion and within the context of present knowing of subcellular and mobile structure and classical organ body structure. every one bankruptcy offers a physiological description of the hormone approach into consideration, by means of an inventory of the mode-of-action of the hormone. This e-book comprises major advances within the molecular biology of receptors, hormones, and experiences of hormone motion that experience transpired over the last 5 years. The textual content updates the fabric on enzymes relating to steroid metabolism and new hormone platforms, in addition to offering a brand new bankruptcy on hormones and cancer.
- Completely updates the fabric, protecting new discoveries and critical advances because the First variation used to be released in 1987
- Contains new information about steroid hormones, the function of hormones in melanoma, and a entire introductory chapter
- Presents an summary of almost all vital hormones
- Provides special physiological, mobile, and molecular descriptions of classical human endocrine systems
- Streamlines the presentation of the 1st version, making the booklet more straightforward to exploit and read
Read Online or Download Hormones PDF
Best endocrinology books
Our realizing of the molecular genetics of immunoglobulins has been drastically complicated through the appliance of recombinant DNA know-how. This new quantity within the well known sequence New accomplished Biochemistry comprises 8 chapters that draw jointly experiences summarising the study into immunoglobulins and the association, rearrangement and expression in their gene constitution.
Bone and the immune process are either complicated tissues, which, respectively, control the skeleton and the body's responses to invading pathogens. severe interactions among those organ platforms often occur, particularly in the improvement of immune cells within the bone marrow and for the functionality of bone cells in healthiness and illness.
- Levin and O'Neal's The Diabetic Foot
- Diabetic Neurology
- Obesity and Weight Management in Primary Care
Additional resources for Hormones
Barry D. Albertson and I. Robert Swanson 7 FIGURE3. Bioassayof testis-stimulating activity. A unique in vivo bioassay using 1Ne intact male cynomolgus monkeys to detect gonadotropinlike testis-stimulating activity in the blood of boys with familial male precocious puberty (FMPP). ~esthetized monkeys are catheterized via jugular vein to access the spermatic vein (A, note venous plexus) and via femoral a~ery to access the spermatic arte~ (B). ) stimulates monkey testis testosterone production after acute injection into the spermatic arte~.
In "Endocrinology and Metabolism" (P. Felig, J. D. Baxter, A. E. Broadus, and L. A. ), p. 164. ] t m - ~ "~lope =-K _ '~,, I I "I .... I Bo max I Bound I I ! FIGURE 1 7. Theoretical and actual Scatchard analysis of data. The straight line shows the theoretical straight-line relationship; the dashed line indicates the often observed actual Scatchard data. (From F. S. Ashkar, "Radiobioassays," Vol. 1. ) 30 Chapter 1 Assay Techniques Available for the Toxicologist radioimmunoassay data often measured and quantitated very large changes in hormone levels in response to various stimuli, and assay validation and quality control were often ignored.
3. The assay should be accurate. Accuracy is the ability of an assay to measure exactly in a quantitative way the amount of hormone in a biologic fluid or tissue, when that amount is known. However, until the precise chemical structure and properties of the antigen are known, one can only approximate this "true" value by evaluating a "relative ~' accuracy. Accuracy is routinely determined by the ability of the assay to correctly measure the amount of hormone "spiked" into a blank sample. 4. The assay must be precise.